History of Wiregrass Medical CenterGeneva County Hospital was founded by citizens of Geneva County. Construction was begun in the summer of 1954 by Connor Brothers Construction. The hospital was completed and the doors were opened in July of 1955. The hospital opened with 30 fulltime employees; 15 nurses, 12 orderlies, and 3 support staff.
The hospital's name was changed to Wiregrass Hospital in 1967. As the hospital grew, significant additions were added in 1961, 1971, 1996, and in 2001. Wiregrass Medical Center encompasses Wiregrass Hospital, Wiregrass Rehabilitation Center and Nursing Home, and the Senior Care Unit. It is owned, operated, and governed by the Geneva County Healthcare Authority, Inc. Board members are appointed by the Geneva County Commission.
We remain Geneva County's sole provider of inpatient and outpatient general medical and general surgical services.